The Ohio Economic Development Association (OEDA) presented its annual Excellence Awards at its 2015 Annual Summit, held October 20-23 at the Columbus Marriott Northwest. The Ohio Economic Development Association’s annual excellence awards program recognizes the achievements of individuals and organizations throughout Ohio in the areas of economic and workforce development.
The Downtown Revitalization Project (DRP) was named the winner of the Excellence in Volunteerism award. This award recognizes exceptional volunteer individuals or groups who have assisted in successful economic development efforts in Ohio.
“We are honored to be able to receive this award from the Ohio Economic Development Association and be recognized for what the DRP board has been able to accomplish”, said Jimmy Wiseman, DRP President, “Our board looks forward to continuing our efforts to reinvigorate business and quality of life in downtown Gallipolis.”
The DRP is a non-profit organization focusing on revitalizing downtown Gallipolis by assisting businesses in a specified downtown Gallipolis “DRP District” with cash grants for businesses development, renovation, and operational costs of their business.
OEDA Annual Excellence Award Recognition was presented to:
The Best Project Award recognizes outstanding and innovative projects in economic and business development that retain or generate jobs and investment.
• Winner – The 9
• Runner Up – Ameritas Forest Park Office Reconfiguration
• Runner Up – Project Helicopter
Excellence in Economic Development Marketing
The Economic Development Marketing Award recognizes successful marketing/marketing campaigns.
• Winner – Start it UP Nelsonville!
• Runner Up – Alliance Make it Yours!
• Runner Up – Food Site Certification Program
• Winner – Findlay-Hancock Economic Development Website
• Runner Up – Downtown Developer’s Day
• Runner Up – Food Site Certification Program
• Winner – GROW Licking County Community Improvement Corp. 8-Page Insert for Business First
• Runner Up – The Greater Akron Chamber Marketing Plan
• Runner Up – Business First! Website, businessfirstdaytonregion.com
Excellence in Economic Development Innovation
The Economic Development Innovation Award recognizes unique approaches to any aspect of economic development and recognizes a person or organization that has developed innovative practices and programs.
• Winner – Community Economic Development Academy (CEDA)
• Runner Up – OH-PA Stateline Export Initiative
• Runner Up – Richland County Foundation Economic Development Investment Strategy
Excellence in Workforce Development Innovation
The Workforce Development Innovation Award recognizes unique approaches to any aspect of workforce development and recognizes a person and/or organization that has developed innovative practices and programs. The strategy(ies) should provide direction, guidance, and motivation to Ohio’s workforce and business community.
• Winner – The Marysville Early College High School
• Runner Up – Madison County Workforce Readiness Credential
• Runner Up – Pioneer Group/Career Centers Partnership Student Welding Program
Excellence in Volunteerism
This award recognizes exceptional volunteer individuals who have assisted in successful economic development efforts in Ohio.
• Winner – The Downtown Revitalization Project (DRP)
• Runner Up – Dave Aaronson, City of Forest Park
• Runner Up – Hal Sheaffer, Ashland Area Council for Economic Development & Community Improvement Corp.
Rookie of the Year
The Rookie of the Year award recognizes an individual who has been an Economic Development Professional within Ohio for two years or less. The purpose of the award is to identify someone who has “hit the ground running” and made extraordinary contributions to local or State workforce and economic development in his/her career.
• Winner – Christine Russell, Economic Development Director, City of Springdale
• Runner Up – Jason Kester, Southern Ohio Port Authority
• Runner Up – Peter Zahirsky, Lake County Ohio Port and Economic Development Authority
About The Downtown Revitalization Project (DRP): The Downtown Revitalization Project (DRP), founded in 2012 and originally named the Digital (DRP) is a non-profit organization focusing on revitalizing the downtown Gallipolis area by providing grant funding to businesses. The mission of the DRP is to “Create an ecosystem of innovation and entrepreneurship through assistance with business development initiatives and quality of life enrichment for those living in Gallia County.”
About the Ohio Economic Development Association: The Ohio Economic Development Association’s mission is: Working together to advance Ohio’s economy by Advocating, Training, Networking, and Workforce Development. The OEDA supports efforts by state, regional and local governments and other organizations to strengthen the economic climate in Ohio, foster employment growth and expand economic opportunities for Ohio’s citizens. For more information about OEDA, please visit www.ohioeda.com.